A new website is currently being prepared to represent the village of Astwood Bank, for more information please go to www.astwoodbank.com


Astwood Bank
A brief History by Richard Churchley

The name Astwood is derived from Old English for ‘east wood’ - the wood lying in the eastern part of the parish of Feckenham. A settlement of this name grew up in the vicinity of Astwood Court. The development of the village on the higher land along the Ridgeway came later, and the description ‘Bank’ was then added to the name.

EVESHAM ROAD , CROSSROADS

GEORGE HOLLINGTON AND SONS NEEDLE FACTORY
Church Road, in the 1950's
Behind the van in the distance
is the Red Lion Inn

THE ASTWOOD BANK ADULT SPORTS DAY
July 1907 supported by all the village children

A manor based around Astwood Court was mentioned in records as early as the 14th century, when John Musard was the lord. The manor later passed through the hands of various families before its demise in the 19th century, including the Culpeppers and Vernons. Another estate known as ‘Strecches Astwood’ was in possession of the Streche family in 1201, but later appears to have merged with the manor of Norgrove.

Please use this form to inform us of events, promotions plus anything else associated with Astwood Bank :-

E-Mail Address
Your Name
Subject
Message